Monday, January 20, 2020

Consistent Truth in the Midst of Inconsistent Circumstances



The drama of everyday life makes for a script Steven Spielberg would die for. Think about it for a moment. Though we go round in the same cycles daily, none of us can predict the merry go round of emotions that we experience through the spun of a day. Let me illustrate. I went to bed with the knowledge of when power will go and what my “to do” list will be. It was a perfect plan, or so I thought. During the night, the kids decided to have one of those nights where they keep calling for daddy, which meant I barely slept and woke up late. Then we lost power earlier than expected, and I left home late and rushing for a meeting only to find out that I am in the wrong venue. By the time I am arriving at the actual venue, I am perfectly late. 

Next, I am scheduled to pick some documents from a company; we should have got the letters three months ago, but alas. As the day progresses, the Zambian heat is beginning to turn up a notch, and so are my emotions. Then as is often the case in this life, I find myself in the unfortunate position of having to explain and clarify what I said and what I meant by what I said, which is a common feature in relationships this side of eternity. And to crown it all, I get home, and there is still no power and somehow manage to burn the supper to the annoyance of my dear wife. When I finally retire to bed, hoping for a goodnight’s rest, our son has another of those nights!

Frustrated, weary and irritated the next day begins. And the sceptic in me wonders what drama lies ahead of me. The reality is, I do not know and trying to figure that out is an exercise in futility. Life is just too unpredictable, and man is also limited to know and be sure. So with my frustrations and scepticism, I turn to a verse that is fast becoming my life verse.

Unless the LORD builds the house, those who build it labour in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain. It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep. Psalm 127:1-2

The Lord is the one constant in this crazy and unpredictable world. When everyone is anxious, and their hearts are full of fretting, only the one who knows God and lives dependent on him will experience the tranquillity of the soul and the peace of mind. The dependent child of God will receive satisfaction from God because it is he who gives the gifts and the ability to enjoy the gifts. He is the ultimate equaliser! Without God in the picture, all labour is an exercise in futility.

Dear Christian, the only way you will be able to joyfully navigate the challenges, uncertainties and frustrations of life is by learning to trust and depend on the only constant- the unchanging and all-satisfying God.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing!!πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ
    I really needed this
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete