But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. "The LORD is my portion," says my soul, "therefore I will hope in him." The LORD is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him. It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentation 3:21-26
What does God's faithfulness mean?
“That God is faithful means that he finishes what he stats and pays for what he orders. He never leaves us. He never forsakes us. He is always present with us. He always forgives us. He always directs us. He always provides a way to escape temptation.” Jim Berg
“The doctrine that God will always do what he has said and fulfil what he has promised” Wayne Grudem
The scriptures further say:
Deuteronomy 7:9 Know therefore that the LORD your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations,
Psalm 102:25-27 Of old you laid the foundation of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands. They will perish, but you will remain; they will all wear out like a garment. You will change them like a robe, and they will pass away, but you are the same, and your years have no end.
Number 23:19 God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfil it?
What makes God faithful?
1. He is self-Existent- he is free from any cause outside himself- Exodus 3:13-14
The Lord is not affected but the happenings around Him and neither are there circumstances beyond His control. Hence all He says and purposes will come to pass.
2. He is infinite- he is free from all limitations, no need to review and resolve or change
Because He is perfect everything he does is perfect and His plans are equally perfect. Therefore in a world where there is constant change, the Lord remains the one constant. He is never changes.
Some implications for our lives
- You can overcome sin- (1 Corinthians 10:13, 2 Thessalonians 3:3, 1 John 1:9) Have you ever considered the wonderful promise in 1 Corinthians 10:13? No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
- You live life without fear- (Romans 8:31-39) what, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?
- You can pray with confidence and not worry- (Matthew 6:25-36) 25“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
- You can read his word eagerly and earnestly (2 Timothy 3:16-17, Psalm 19:7-10) The law of the Lord is perfect, refreshing the soul. The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple.The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes. The fear of the Lord is pure, enduring forever. The decrees of the Lord are firm, and all of them are righteous. They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the honeycomb.