Tuesday, June 16, 2015

FIVE THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT YOUR PASTOR


It is always interesting to hear people’s opinion on the pastor’s conduct and his duties. There are all kinds of notions and teachings on how a pastor is to live his life. Whereas some of the things said are true and biblical most of what I have heard is unbiblical and unhealthy for ministry. It’s clear there are things that people need to know or simply ignore about their pastors.

1.      Your Pastor is not a sinless perfect Saint
As a matter of fact, you will not find a sinless human being this side of eternity. So whereas pastors ought to be holy and be an example to the people they lead, remember they still struggle with sin and temptation the same way you are. Yes that’s true pastors have to battle lust, worry, greed, lying, stealing, anger etc. Paul says Romans 7
For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate.  Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.  For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out.  For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing.

2.      Your Pastor is not a “jack of all trades”
The analogy of the church being a body is very instructive. It means every part has a significant role to play for the body to be fully functional and healthy. However there are people who take the church to be a like a bus, where you can sleep and leave the driver to take you to your destination. Invariably this has led people to come with all kinds of responsibilities for the pastor. If we summed up everything the list would include among other things, a choir master, an electrician, sound technician, a security guard, an accountant, a driver, a chief executive officer, a therapist etc. The apostles asked for deacons so that they may give themselves to “the word and prayer” (Acts 6:1-2). There are things your pastor cannot do and there are things he should not do for the sake of the health of the church.

3.      Your Pastor does not know everything in the bible
This is a hard truth for pastors to admit, but the truth is we do not know everything in the bible. A pastor should be “able to teach” and know what he is teaching but there are a lot of things we do not know in the bible and it is okay- we are human.

4.      Your Pastor desperately needs your prayer and encouragement
The problem with thinking pastors are super saints is you assume they do not need your prayers and encouragement. The ministry can be a lonely, frustrating and discouraging place and it’s a blessing to the soul to know someone is praying for you and to hear someone urge to keep going.  

5.      Your Pastor is not like the other Pastor
Your pastor is uniquely gifted and will never be like the pastor before or the pastor after him or the pastor down the road or the pastor in the next town. No two pastors are the same and God designed it that way. So do not compare your pastor to another man, do not demand that he preaches like another preacher, on the contrary demand that he be faithful to his task.


2 comments: